Saturday, January 26, 2013

Making snacks for the family

Monday was Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday. We were all at home, but after we went to a grocery store and a park, I got to spend four hors in the kitchen. Within the four hours (plus a few minute extra in the early morning before my child and husband got up), I was able to make granola, granola bars, pizza dough, pie crust, black beans, pizza sauce, and chai tea base. the book I used to make all these is called Homemade Pantry by Alana Chernila. I borrowed it from the library last week, but I am convinced that I need to own one, and it will be my bible in the kitchen for the years to come.

One of the greatest things is that when I take my time to make these things at home from scratch, I know exactly what we are eating. Processed and boxed granola bars and regular pop tarts (I made these at home with the pie crust on Tuesday), kids may love... But if you take a look at their nutritional values and ingredients, you would think twice about giving it to your growing children. And all of the things I made, maybe except pie crust, are not difficult at all. It takes gathering of ingredients, mixing them, putting in the oven or putting it on the stove, and watching not to burn it.

You do not have to make everything at home, but maybe you can choose one or two things that you can replace with the homemade ones...



No comments:

Post a Comment